Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Literary Crushes

When you read as much as I do, you're bound to develop crushes on certain authors.

It began in high school with Stephen Crane. I loved his poetry AND he was a journalist!


More recently, I've been drawn to Ethan Canin. A doctor AND a writer. How cool is that?


Tony Swofford, author of "Jarhead," is an intelligent, articulate, former military man. He doesn't know it, but we should be married.


But, most recently, I'm into another Tony ... Bourdain. A chef, a traveler, a writer, a renegade. Ah!

3 comments:

David K. and Ann C.-K. said...

Love Ethan Canin -- his writing, that is. Wish he'd publish more often. Have you read "Emperor of the Air"? Three short stories that are pretty great. "The Emperor's Club" is also really good (and not a bad movie, either).

Hana Solo said...

Don't you hate it when the man you've never met, but know you should be married to, won't play along???

Anonymous said...

Do you remember when you & I and crazy Lulu all went to see Ethan Canin do a reading at "Clean Well-Lighted" back in the Old Book Group days? He was gorgeous! And he gave me the single best piece of writing advice I've ever heard: always stop mid-thought at the end of the day so you don't have to face a blank screen in the morning." -- Lisa