Thursday, February 10, 2011

Raku at SF Ballet

Nearly every season, the SF Ballet does something that knocks my socks off. Last night was my first performance of the year and I chose well.


Resident choreographer Yuri Possokhov's new piece is called "Raku" and it's marvelous.

He uses cinematic projections, a rousing and contemporary score, magnificent costumes and lighting to make the most of his incredibly athletic and gravity-defying dance moves. Unfortunately, the photo and the review I've included here highlight dancers I didn't see. Lorena Feijoo danced the lead last night and she positively rocked! If you think ballet is stodgy, boring and old-fashioned, this performance is for you. Last chance to see it is Friday. Buy tickets! I'll personally reimburse you if you don't like it.

No comments: