I'm proud to report the pickles are fantastic! In fact, they're the closest thing to Grandma's pickles I think I've ever tasted.
Here's the recipe I used. Because I like a really potent pickle, for my next batch, I'll increase the salt, garlic and peppercorns.
6 cups water
1/4 cup kosher salt (use only kosher salt!)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 lbs small cucumbers, thoroughly scrubbed
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
6-8 coarsely chopped garlic cloves
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
1. Combine the water, salt and vinegar in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
3. Pack the cucumbers and the remaining ingredients in a 2-quart (2 litre) glass jar, and pour brine (water/vinegar mixture) over them, covering the cucumbers completely.
4. Store, covered in the the refrigerator.
5. The pickles will be ready in 4-5 days, and will keep refrigerated for weeks.
6. **NOTE** since the peel is eaten on these pickles, make certain to wash and scrub the outside of the cucumbers well to remove any dirt. I used a toothbrush to scrub the outsides.